Factions is not just a game mode, but an effort to tell some player-driven stories set in the League of Legends universe. The story you read below has developed as it has because of match outcomes and player decisions.
New to Factions? Want to catch up on the lore? Here are some options. The “notable events” section of the first issue of our in-universe newspaper, The Summoner’s Herald, also serves as a bridge into the Factions universe, following the timeline of the Journal of Justice and then continuing where it leaves off.
Link: Previous Storylines
This is an index of all previous storylines, with scoreboard charts and quick-and-dirty summaries of what happened. It also includes a list of all lore updates from these arcs.
Click on a particular storyline to see the page for that arc, including all lore updates published during its course.
The Story So Far
This page provides a narrative overview of the Factions saga to date.
List of Lore Updates
These lore updates make up the central Factions storyline. Also included are significant interactive lore events, in which Summoners cast votes to make important decisions for their factions.
- I.1 — Piltover Rallies
- I.2 — Noxian Reinforcements
- I.3 — The Freljord Resolution
- I.4 — Udyr
- I.5 — The True Noxus
- IV.1 — Ionia’s Rage
- IV.2A — The League Intervenes (Noxus)
- IV.2B — The League Intervenes (Ionia)
- IV.3 — Sword of the Wind
- IV.4 — Echoes of the Past
- IV.5 — Madmen of Zaun
- An Urgent Dispatch from the League!
- IV.6 — Ceruleana’s Wrath
- IV.7 — A Lucky Break
- IV.8 — Scarlet Spring
- IV.9 — Peace
- Epilogue — Pax Monstro
- Prelude — Breakthrough!
- V.1 — Trouble, Right Here In Bandle City!
- Interactive Lore Event I
- V.2 — Opening Moves
- V.3 — Chaos
- V.4 — The Endless Dead (and Lore Event II Part One)
- Interactive Lore Event II (Part Two)
- V.5 — Get Jinxed
- Interactive Lore Event III
- Interactive Lore Event IV
- V.6 — A Desperate Alliance
- Interactive Lore Event V — The Beginning of the End
- The Summoner’s Herald Vol. I, Issue 1
- V.7 — A Scientist’s Decision
- V.8 — Shield of Light
- V.9 — The HexKorps
- The Summoner’s Herald Vol. I, Issue 2
- V.10 — The Terror of the Void
- V.11 — Against Apocalypse
- V.12 — Secrets of Shurima
- (Teaser) The Summoner’s Herald — Vol. I, Issue 2
- (Teaser) First three factions announced
- (Teaser) Fourth faction announced
- (Teaser) The Summoner’s Herald — Special Report
- Interactive Lore Event I
- Interactive Lore Event II
- VI.1 — The Harrowing Approaches
- VI.2 — Time To Troll
- VI.3 — Not Your Hero
- VI.4 — Avalon
- VI.5 — The Harrowing
Factions lore includes the following, in addition to the central lore updates.
Interactive Lore Events
Link: Interactive Lore Events
We’re just starting to really formalize this system, but from time to time we invite Summoners to cast their votes as to what their faction does next. This began in the Mirrorwater arc, when Noxian Summoners were asked to decide between Singed’s ruthless “victory at any cost” tactics or Riven’s old-school “strength with honor” principles.
The Summoner’s Herald
Link: The Summoner’s Herald
This is our in-universe newspaper, in the style of the Journal of Justice. It is published at the Institute of War, and reports on international news.
Beyond the Battlefield
Link: Beyond the Battlefield
Beyond the Battlefield is for community-written lore, especially lore that isn’t directly related to the central Factions storyline. Anyone can send in their writing for review. We check submissions primarily to ensure there are no conflicts with Factions canon. All Beyond the Battlefield works that are published have been vetted in this way, and are themselves Factions canon. In other words: we invite anyone who would like to do so to contribute to building the Factions world.
Link: Factions Artwork
We are fortunate enough to have lots of awesome community art, as well.
Factions lore is overseen by the lore staff. Our loremaster is Montesque64.