The normal process for faction selection is as follows:
- We hold a public poll to select one or two factions.
- Summoners from the previous arc’s winning faction get a private vote to add another.
- Staff sometimes add another faction.
I’d like to vary things somewhat this time. Staff has discussed the next arc, and we came to a general agreement that Bilgewater really needs to be in it. It hasn’t been featured yet, and it has a fun, small roster with some unique flavor. It also seems very well-suited to the theme of exploration and commerce that we’d like to explore with the next arc, which we intend to make a genuinely lighter story with no world-ending events or massive wars. (There might still be some combat with undead or Void armies, or a disaster or two, but overall we think Runeterra really needs a break. Hextech Revolution was supposed to be that break, but, uh, it got a bit crazy by the end there.) We held an informal poll, and found that the community seems to generally agree on Bilgewater.
In an inversion of the usual procedure, I am therefore going to begin the sixth arc planning process by announcing Bilgewater as the first faction. Bilgewater is a maritime civilization that effectively represents the interests of pirates, traders, and aquatic civilizations like the Marai.
I have some work to do to get the research rolls ready for tonight, but once that’s out of the way, I intend to post up the public poll very shortly.
Although this is purely speculative at this point, I’m considering going even further and actually posting up a scenario with the public poll, indicating what’s at stake or what the argument is over. Each faction’s description would then include:
- Their objective in the given scenario (what they’re fighting for)
- The faction’s history in prior arcs
- Prospective champion lists
- Core list: Champions the faction will almost certainly start with.
- Secondary list: Champions the faction will have plenty of opportunity to recruit (e.g. as part of regular lore events)
- Tertiary list: Some Champions with very tenuous connections who might nonetheless be available as, e.g., tournament prizes.
- The faction’s power chart, indicating their strength in the following areas (somewhat TBD, depending on how we end up designing these systems, but we can give vague indications):
- Military (combat capability)
- Research (tech development)
- Endeavor (possible category separate from research, for e.g. building stuff)
- Commerce (possible category for trade/wealth)
- League standing (possible category for diplomatic heft before the League)
- (all of the above being pretty speculative, but just an idea I had)
So yes. There will in fact be pirates in the next arc. It looks like the Freljord might be another choice. I’m debating between using the Freljord as the setting, and allowing factions to recruit Freljord champs from the various sub-factions, or just putting it on the poll to see if people want to see a united Freljord as a major player. I’ll probably go with the second option.
You’re all invited to come help think up scenario ideas for the next arc in this thread.